Monday, August 15, 2011

Am I qualified for H1-B Visa?

This is an actually two-part question. Part 1: Am I qualified for H-1B visa? Which type of H-1B visa am I qualified for?

There are three types of H1-B visa. The law holds different requirements for each one.

The first type is H1-B for special occupation. What is special occupation? Special occupation is defined by law as a job that is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a bachelor or higher degree. Therefore, for a person to qualify for H1-B, he must have completed US bachelor or higher degree, or hold a equivalent foreign degree, or have education, training or experience that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree.

The second type is  H-1B2, DOD temporary work visa for DOD Researcher and Development Project Worker. The job must be a cooperative research and development project or a co-production project is provided for under a government-to-government agreement administered by the U.S. Department of Defense.
To be eligible for this visa category one must have completed a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree required by the specific specialty occupation from an accredited college or university or its equivalent, including equivalent foreign degree or training or education or experience.
There is also a type of H-1B visa designed for Models. For a fashion model to obtain H-1B visa, the job must require a fashion model of prominence. Prominence means a person is renowned, leading in the field of fashion modeling. To be eligible for this visa category you must be a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability. Noted, H-1B2 does not require a bachelor degree or higher.