Friday, December 16, 2011

Life After OPT

We may all know that we could get OPT from International student advisors to work. We all know OPT expires in 9 months. Then what are your options after OPT expires?

If you can find a job, H1B is most popular work visa for students, J1 is an option too if H1B not available (must meet requirements). Certain nationalities such as Canadian and Mexican may obtain TN, E3 for certain nationalities. You may be eligible for O1 visa if you are O1 if you are “extraordinary”. L1 visa is for intracompany transferee. 

Who can sponsor you H1B visa? Basically, an employer may sponsor you provided it agrees to pay prevailing wage, pay costs of reasonable return trip home if terminated prior to H1B end date and to notify USCIS of early termination of H1B worker. The profitability of the employer is not considered. 

It is not well known that, as an approach to “Encouraging Entrepreneurs and High Skilled Workers to Bolster the U.S. Economy and Spur Job Growth”,  USCIS clarifies in one of its recent memo that  a sole employee-entrepreneur can be qualified for H-1B non-immigrant visa as long as it can establish a valid employer-employee relationship. Therefore, if a business could be established after graduation, Life after OPT can be pointed to H1B.

If an oversea company is willing to hire you and you worked for them for one year before you come, you may be eligible for L visa. If you are from certain countries, you may be eligible for E1/E2 visa. 

For evaluation of your options, please contact Linda Liang & Associates for an appointment.